Saturday, February 21, 2015

Racecar dresser and side table




It's been a while since I blogged about a project my wife has completed. I promised in an earlier blog post about pregnancy nesting to write about the dresser drawers and side table that my wife was refurbishing. Yeah, that was a long time ago.








These drawers and the side table have been in my family for many years. They first belonged to my grandparents, then my mom and dad were given the drawers and my sisters and I used them in turn while growing up. When my wife and I bought our first home together, my parents gave them to us and now our children can use them. Here is what they used to look like:




They were in pretty good condition, but I can't help but think of Yoda or gremlins every time I look the handles. Despite the Yoda/gremlin resemblance, when my wife brought up the idea of refurbishing the drawers, I was against it. Yes, I know, I really need to learn to just listen to her better. Seriously. I am one of those guys who is fairly traditional and somewhat sentimental about things. I thought, shoot, these drawers have been in the family for many years and you just want to change them? Her response, "Yeah, that's right. They're kind of ugly." Point taken.



So, here's what she did. First she stripped them down with a sander. Here's the result:





















Then she filled in the screw holes for the handles with wood filler and sanded it down again.


Then came the fun part. She painted them blue. Bright blue. After they were dry she added a race car stripe on the front as an accent. She bought racecar flag drawer handles and let me install those.




The bottom portion of the dresser table used to have a door on a hinge, but our 3 year old pulled it off. It was pretty hard to open and close, so we just decided to keep it off for easier access.
 

My wife said that she used regular Behr paint. The racecar stripes are made out of checkered scrapbook paper. She painted some Mod Podge over the scrapbook paper to hold it in place. The racecar flag handles were purchased online.

My son has been enjoying these drawers in his room for about a year now. My wife completed this project when she was in her 2nd trimester of pregnancy. As usual, I'm very impressed with my wife and her talents and think that she did an awesome job!




No comments:

Post a Comment